Lady Bucs fall to GS

Photo By Kristen Luther
Kristi Robinson sets up a shot for Jennifer Sartor for ETSU on Sunday afternoon.

from staff reports
JOHNSON CITY--Georgia Southern remained unbeaten in the Southern Conference after sweeping East Tennessee State in three games, 30-26, 31-29, and 30-24, Sunday afternoon in Brooks Gym.
ETSU fell to 3-14 overall and 1-4 in the SoCon, while the Eagles improved to a perfect 3-0 league play and 8-8 on the season.
"I thought we played very well against a talented Georgia Southern team," said Buccaneer head coach Lindsey Devine. "The team showed that they are starting to come together. It's a lot easier to play at home, because having the parents and fans here is a great motivational tool."
Georgia Southern hit for a .415 clip in game one on 19 kills and just two errors.
GSU enjoyed a comfortable 25-21 lead in game two, before the Buccaneers sparked a late rally. However, a kill by Martina Veiglova ultimately clinched the game for the visiting Eagles.
Game three was just as tight, but a number of ETSU errors led to four unanswered points by the Eagles, as Georgia Southern handed the Bucs their first home loss of the season.
"We cannot hesitate as much as we are, because the result is unforced errors," said Devine. "I attribute that to lack of experience and confidence. But I look back at the beginning of our season and we have come a long way."
For the second time this weekend, ETSU was led by freshman Kelsey Sherich, who tallied 14 kills. Sherich had just two attack errors for a hitting percentage of .364 and finished just one dig shy (9) of recording her second straight double-double.
Junior Karen Freeburg and senior Lissa Allen added 11 and 10 kills, respectively, while senior Kate Steidle notched a season-high 15 digs to go along with three service aces. Sophomore Kristi Robinson once again led the Buccaneers in assists with 42.
Georgia Southern senior Erin Martin was the model of efficiency after batting down 14 kills and no errors, while racking up a .483 attack percentage. Veiglova added 13 kills to the winning effort. Both Martin and Veiglova recorded double-doubles with 10 digs apiece. Senior Megan Lippi led GSU with 13 digs followed by 12 digs by sophomore setter Susan Winkleman, who also tallied a team-high 20 assists and match-high five service aces.
East Tennessee State will be back in action on Friday, Oct. 10, when the team travels to UNC Greensboro. The Buccaneers will then play at Elon on Saturday, Oct. 11. Friday's match versus the Spartans will begin at 7 p.m.
Lady Bucs clip Davidson
East Tennessee State held on to defeat Davidson 3-2 Saturday afternoon in ETSU's home opener from Brooks Gym. The Buccaneers escaped with a 15-12 victory in game five to ultimately clinch their first Southern Conference match of the season.
"We showed that we have some heart today," said Devine. "Davidson is a very good team, but it didn't matter who we were playing today -- we just needed a win to build some confidence."
ETSU claimed game one 31-29 after trailing by as many as seven points, but the Wildcats evened the match with a 30-24 victory in game two. Davidson struggled offensively in game three with just seven kills, as ETSU went on to win by a score of 30-26. However, the Wildcats came back strong in order to force a game five, with a 30-24 win in game four.
Freshman Kelsey Sherich led the Bucs with a match-high 17 kills, followed by Lissa Allen and Karen Freeburg, who finished with 14 kills apiece. Senior Kate Steidle tallied 11 kills for ETSU with a team-high .242 attack percentage.
Latisha Chapman tallied 14 kills, four block solos, and nine block assists to lead the Wildcats, who notched 19 team blocks on the afternoon. Rachel Gleed contributed 13 kills, while Meredith Lorenz and Jenny Mills added 12 and 11 kills, respectively. Nicole Tonelli registered a team-high 37 assists and four Davidson players ended their day with double-digits in digs.
Defensively, the Bucs were led by freshman Natalie Pittenger's career-high 20 digs, while sophomore Kristi Robinson dished out 60 assists.
"We climbed up another step on the ladder," said Devine. "In one match we proved we could come from behind, maintain leads, and win it in game five. This was a very important victory for this group."
ETSU wins in double-OT
JOHNSON CITY -- The East Tennessee State women's soccer program made another milestone in the Buccaneer history books with their first win over Georgia Southern.
The 3-2 win in double overtime Sunday afternoon at Liberty Bell Field improves the Buccaneers to 8-2-0 overall, 3-1-0 in the Southern Conference, while dropping the Eagles to 4-8-0, 0-3-0.
"It was a back and forth game, neither team was going to give up," stated head coach Heather Henson. "The team that was going to win was going to be the team that took advantage of their opponent's mistakes. We had to wait until overtime for that to happen, but it did."
ETSU's Rebecca Murray netted a goal early in the game to start the scoring. Forward Erin Ashton gained control of the ball entering the Bucs attacking zone and made the pass to Murray from 45 yards out. Murray ran the ball in and took a shot from point-blank range for the goal at 2:26.
The Eagles tied it up to end the second half with a goal from Emily Churchill. From eight yards outside the net, Churchill slotted the ball in from the opposite post past ETSU keeper Heather Sanden (Manassas, Va.).
In the second half, ETSU scored first again with a goal from senior Andrea Brown. Emily Fulcher (New Bern, N.C.) passed the ball to Brown who was waiting to make the shot at 70:21.
Georgia Southern's Vikki Corbitt would tie up the game just over two minutes later. Corbitt scored off of a corner kick taken by Mary-Kate Talbott, making the score 2-2 at the end of regulation play.
The first overtime period was hard fought but remained scoreless.
In the second overtime session Brown would clinch victory for the Bucs with her second goal of the game. Ashton split the defense and passed the ball up to Brown who fired the ball past Georgia Southern keeper Tanya Woehr for the game-winning goal just 1:37 into the second overtime period.
"We made a tactical decision in putting Andrea up top to give us some strength to hold onto the ball. She has a great ability to transition during the game from central mid to a frontrunner," said Henson.
"After losing to Furman in overtime, they knew what they needed to do as a team which was track back every time, get into the attack every time, and possess the ball. That is where you are seeing the correction in the youth of the team."
Up next on the Buccaneers schedule is a road trip to Cullowhee, N.C. to face SoCon opponent Western Carolina this Thursday at 4 p.m.