Rangers play shutout football versus Hurley

  By Wes Holtsclaw
  star staff
  There weren't many complaints on Stoney Creek Friday night.
  In Unaka's 2004 gridiron debut, its defense came to win in impressive fashion.
  Aside from two big runs late in their battle with the Hurley Rebels, Unaka's defense shut down the visiting unit and created turnovers.
  The Rangers scored 13 points off of two Hurley fumbles, then added a late dash of Charles Lee Guinn to pick up a 19-0 victory at Goddard Field.
  "That's one," said Unaka coach Mike Ensor. "We emphasized all week correcting mistakes we did last year. Our execution tonight wasn't the greatest in the world. It seemed like we would have the play turned all night and they would come with backside penetration. We finally got one busted late.
  "I'm not going to be one of those coaches that you win 19-0 and wish you had 35 (points), but we could've had 35. The kids played great all night. Our defense dug in when it had to, and made plays. Speed kills. We were able to come from the outside and make a lot of plays, and Travis Pasquale from the inside is a load."
  Guinn used a 78-yard touchdown scamper late in the fourth quarter to pick up the bulk of his game-high 120 yards on 14 carries.
  "Everybody played their hearts out," Guinn said. "The linemen were blocking great, and Cody (Hurley) and (Brandon) Medina had some outstanding runs."
  The sophomore tailback almost tallied 120 more yards, but tripped up on two runs where he had cut the corner with open field ahead.
  "I had trouble standing up early," he said. "I got my feet knocked out from under me."
  Hurley, Medina and Jeff Wilson also had quality gains for the Rangers. Hurley totaled 31 yards on eight carries, while Medina tallied 26 on three touches.
  Wilson's biggest gain came after Hurley's Josh Childress fumbled the ball over to Unaka on the visiting squad's first offensive play.
  The freshman tailback broke three tackles and drug two Rebels across the end zone on a 9-yard sprint with 8:19 left in the first quarter.
  Neither team had much success until the second, when Hurley's turnovers caught up to the team again.
  This time Nathan Justice fumbled a punt return to Guinn, who covered the ball on the spot.
  Hurley forced another Unaka punt, but a personal foul penalty on the play set up an 11-yard pass to the right corner of the end zone from Ranger John Zimmerman to senior Daniel McInturff, who grabbed all three of the signal caller's completions for a total of 44 yards.
  "Daniel came out and had a great game in his first game as a senior," Ensor said. "John threw it great all night. We did some things we wanted to do tonight. For the most part, we were successful in the things we did."
  The Rangers had another good drive in the third quarter until fourth-and-one situation inside the team's red zone. A missed snap prevented another score, but Guinn got the team jumping on the sidelines in the final stanza, breaking his long run to paydirt.
  A lot of credit for Unaka's success must go to the team's line, which created plays for the team's linebackers and defensive backfield.
  Terry Campbell, Travis Pasquale and Brent Huskins each had some big hits.
  For the Rebels, who dressed under 25 for their road game, two big late gains gave Shane Justice a team high 45 yards on 12 carries.
  Aside from Nathan Justice's 12 yards on the ground, the other four Hurley ball carriers were held to under six yards each.
  Up next for the Rangers is the rival North Greene Huskies. The condition of Husky quarterback Dusty Neal, who has a shoulder injury, could mean a lot in a conference game that big for the maroon.
  "We've got to watch them twice (this season)," Ensor said. "They are a little banged up. Dusty Neal may be back for our game. We're going to prepare like he's there. With him out, it will be a ground game. With him in, Dusty will put it through the air."
  The improving Rangers will host the Huskies on Thursday night due to Greene County's inservice on Friday.