Falcons subdue HV

By Marvin Birchfield

   CHURCH HILL--Volunteer was just too much for Happy Valley in their 57-41 win on Friday night, despite the Warriors' never-quit attitude, which kept them in the game throughout.
   A bad second-quarter performance by the Warriors proved to be the difference in the contest, as they were outscored 23-7.
   "My bench didn't help us a bit," said Happy Valley coach Charlie Bayless. "I guess they haven't scored four points all year, and we played pretty well until I had to split them up."
   Happy Valley led at the end of the first period 11-8, after the Warriors hit the boards and pushed the ball up the floor.
   Offensive rebounds and scores from Jordy Harrison and Bobby Morton, along with a fast-break basket by Tim Whaley gave the Warriors the lead after trailing 8-3.
   It was another jinxed quarter for the Warriors in the second period, as they went on a drought and weren't able to capture any points from the field.
   "They had a three-point lead going into the second quarter, so we picked up man to try to change the tempo of the game," said Volunteer coach Todd Whittemore.
   Seven free-throws was all the Warrior offense could acquire, and strong play inside by Chuckey Lindholm, who poured in 18 points in giving Volunteer a 31-18 lead at the break.
   "Chuckey had 15 boards, which was above his average, and 18 points going below the average, but he's going to give you that kind of game, and we need others to step up also," said Whittemore.
   Happy Valley came out strong in the second half to cut the lead to under 10, with Andrew Bowman making the drive inside the paint.
   A scary moment came for the Warriors with 5:19 left in the third, after Whaley stole a pass and was fouled hard by Ben Southam.
   Whaley left the game after that point, as it caused a ten minute delay in the action, due to an injury to his ribs.
   "I thought we were making a good comeback, and when Whaley went out it took away a lot of our sting," said Bayless.
   This hurt Happy Valley in their effort to make the comeback, but they hung tough to trail by 10 heading into the final period.
   The Warriors fell behind 47-32 with 5:25 left in the contest, when Michael Porter hit a three for the Falcons.
   Jeremy Maddox answered for Happy Valley, as he nailed a three-point shot to rally the Warriors.
   A fast break bucket from Whitlock, and then a steal drawing the foul pulled Happy Valley to within eight with three minutes left.
   "We were hustling all night long and were clicking, but we couldn't get anything to fall, and it's just hard for us," said Whitlock.
   The final two minutes of the contest belonged to Volunteer, as they went on to score the last eight points of the game.
   "We have a lot of tough conference games to come, so we're going to keep practicing and try to get better," said Whitlock.