ETSU sizzles from field in win over Furman

By Matt Hill

   GREENVILLE, S.C. -- It would almost take a mathematician to figure out East Tennessee State's field goal percentage against Furman Monday night.
   That's because the number is almost astronomical .
   The Bucs shot an incredible 63 percent from the field to defeat the Paladins 78-67 at Timmons Arena.
   While ETSU shot great, the Paladins finished the game shooting just 38 percent.
   Despite these facts, the Paladins (14-12, 7-8 in SoCon) were able to give the Bucs (17-9, 10-5 in SoCon) all they wanted.
   One reason for that was rebounding. Furman was able to attempt 12 more shots than the Bucs thanks to a 16-5 edge on the offensive glass.
   The game was tight throughout, but the Bucs pulled away in the final two minutes.
   Furman was only behind 65-61 with two minutes left, but then an NBA three-pointer by Dimeco Childress amazingly went in to put the Buccaneers up 68-61.
   Furman missed a couple of shots to pull the game within five points, and that was the last time the Paladins were in striking distance.
   Jerald Fields went on to hit two free-throws to make it a 70-61 Buccaneer lead, and the boys from Johnson City never looked back from there.
   The final couple minutes provided a little breathing room, but the Bucs had to scrap and claw to get this one.
   Furman dominated the first ten minutes of this contest, and led 22-15 with 10:14 to go.
   The Bucs did rally late in the half, and cut Furman's lead down to 35-33 on a trey by Childress with 41 seconds to go in the frame. That was the score going into the locker room.
   The lead changed 11 times in the second half before the Bucs went up for good when Tiras Wade hit a jumper to give ETSU a 52-51 edge with 9:38 to go in the contest.
   The Bucs may have been dominated on the offensive boards, but ETSU's Jerald Fields and Zakee Wadood did all they could to keep the total rebound margin close.
   Wadood finished with 13 rebounds, while Fields tallied eight.
   Furman did out-rebound ETSU 37-33 on the evening.
   Childress, Wadood and Fields were all on fire from the field for ETSU.
   Childress hit 9-of-14 from the field, Wadood went 8-of-13, and Fields made five of his seven field-goal attempts.
   Childress led all scorers with 24, while Wadood and Fields tallied 17 and 15, respectively.
   Wade also hit double figures, as he netted 13.
   Childress and Fields also tallied five assists on the evening.
   The Bucs hit five of their ten three-point attempts in this contest. Furman was only 6-of-25 from beyond the arc.
   Furman did have a balanced scoring effort, as four Paladin players made it into double figures.
   Karim Souchu led the Paladins with 16 points. Guilhereme DaLuz added 15 for Furman.
   Also in double figures for the Paladins were Kenny Zeigler and Anthony Thomas. They finished with 13 and 11, respectively.
   The Bucs have now won seven straight games, and will wrap second-place in the Southern Conference's North Division with a win over Appalachian State Saturday in Boone. Gametime is set for 1 p.m.