January 24, 2002
Arrests* Michael Shaun Hardin, 21, 481 Lyons Road, Hampton, was arrested Tuesday by Elizabethton Police Department Ptl. Kevin Cable after the officer observed a gray Suzuki Samurai traveling westbound on Broad Street with the driver operating an illegal emergency siren. When the officer stopped the driver, identified as Hardin, on Railroad Street near Dairy Queen, Hardin told him the illegal siren was the only horn on the vehicle. Hardin was charged with driving on suspended license and violation of financial responsibility law.
* Sheila M. Greer, 41, 141 Centerview Drive, was arrested Tuesday by Carter County Sheriff's Department Sgt. Penny Cornett after the officer was called to respond to an accident at the intersection of Highway 19E and Lovers Lane. Greer, driver of one of the vehicles, was charged with second-offense DUI, failure to provide financial responsibility, failure to yield and violation of implied consent.
* Carl J. Garrison, 54, 107 Garrison Road, Roan Mountain, was arrested Tuesday by CCSD Deputy Bradley Johnson on a capias charging him with failure to appear with fines and costs on a charge of public intoxication.
* Danny D. Blair Jr., 21, 210 Dalewood Drive, was arrested Monday by CCSD Deputy Janice Mitchell on charges of failure to appear on disorderly conduct. He also was served a summons for assault.
* Brian Alexander Douchette, 40, Mountain Home, was arrested Tuesday by CCSD Sgt. Penny Cornett on a capias charging him with failure to pay costs on a civil case.
* Lloyd Blevins, 45, Carl Smith Road, was arrested Tuesday by CCSD Deputy Shannon Deloach and charged with theft under $500.
* Jonathan Campbell, 22, 168 Lincoln Drive, was issued a citation Friday by EPD Ptl. Michael Merritt after the officer responded to a motor vehicle accident on West Elk Avenue. Campbell was cited for violation of financial responsibility law.
* Jeffery A. Heaton, 37, 221 Bill Nave Loop, was issued a citation Friday by EPD Ptl. Michael Merritt after the officer responded to a motor vehicle accident on Main Street. Heaton was charged with violation of financial responsibility law.
* Todd L. Blevins, 29, 417 Greenlee Road, Johnson City, was issued a citation Friday by EPD Ptl. Michael Merritt after the officer responded to a motor vehicle accident on Broad Street. Blevins was charged with violation of financial responsibility law.
* Scotty Birchfield, 22, 3982 Old Linuccle Road, Marion, N.C.; Heather N. Bowman, 18, 1245 Bluefield Ave.; and Anthony Miller, 25, 73 Stewart Road, Bakersville, N.C., were arrested Sunday by EPD Ptl. Tonya Scott after officers responded to Lynnwood's G Building, Apt. 3, regarding a disturbance. The three adults were charged with possession of Schedule VI and possession of drug paraphernalia after officers found what appeared to be a marijuana roach and rolling papers inside the residence. Four juveniles, who were also present, were taken into custody and transported to Carter County Sheriff's Department before being released to their parents.
Fatality* Traffic Homicide Unit officers from Johnson City Police Bureau responded around 11 a.m. Tuesday to a two-vehicle crash at St. John's Mill on Watauga Road. Frank Whitson, 93, 7837 N. 226 Highway, Bakersville, N.C., was pronounced dead on arrival at Johnson City Medical Center from massive head injuries. Whitson was attempting to turn onto Watauga Road after driving out of the loading dock at the mill and pulled into the path of a Summers-Taylor dump truck. The truck, which was headed east on Watauga Road, was driven by Melvin L. Miller Sr., 48, 627 Hwy. 91, Lot #6. A snow plow attached to the front of Miller's truck struck Whitson's vehicle on the driver's side. According to the report, Whitson apparently saw the truck approaching and thought he had time to safely enter the roadway. Speed was not a factor in the accident, according to police. The investigation is continuing. At the time of the report, it did not appear that charges would be placed against Miller.
|Starhq.com © 2008-2011. All rights reserved. 300 N Sycamore St, Elizabethton, TN 37643|