December 13, 2001


   * Jesse Lee Sparks, 20, 1615 Hwy. 91 #3, was arrested Wednesday by Carter County Sheriff's Department Deputy Laverne Julian after officers were dispatched to Gap Creek and Bob Taylor roads in reference to a one-car accident. According to the report, a white Pontiac driven by Sparks ran off the roadway, overturned, and came to rest on its top in the middle of the road. The car sustained heavy damage. No one was around the vehicle, however, officers observed a child restraint seat and diaper bag in the back seat of the car. Officers searched the area and Deputy Julian along with Carter County Rescue Squad paramedic John Burleson located Sparks near a wooded area where he was hiding with his 10-month-old child. Sparks was intoxicated, according to the report. The child was "ice cold" and had what appeared to be a black eye and seat belt marks across the head area. The child was immediately transported to Sycamore Shoals Hospital along with Sparks, who appeared uninjured. Sparks later was transported to Carter County Jail on charges of DUI, violation of implied consent, child endangerment, driving on revoked license, aggravated child abuse, and leaving the scene of an accident with injury.
   * Roland Matt Street, 31, 405 Holly St., Johnson City, was arrested Wednesday by CCSD Sgt. Patrick Johnson following a traffic stop. Street was charged with DUI.
   * Jeff W. Ferguson, 20, 496 Dye Leaf Road, Butler, was arrested Tuesday by Elizabethton Police Department Ptl. Richard Haney after the officer was dispatched to Peebles on a shoplifting call. According to the loss prevention officer, Ferguson, who is an employee of Peebles, was caught stealing $107 in goods. He was issued a summons for shoplifting. Upon searching Ferguson, a pipe believed to contain marijuana residue was found on his person. He was arrested on a charge of possession of drug paraphernalia.

Bomb threat

   * A 15-year-old student was arrested Tuesday by officers of Sullivan County Sheriff's Office after he allegedly made bomb threats at Sullivan Central High School. The school received bomb threats on Monday and Tuesday. The student was transported to Johnson City Detention Center and was to be arraigned Wednesday morning in Bristol Juvenile Court.