December 5, 2001
Arrests* James Douglas Jones, 31, 415 Bluegrass Road, Roan Mountain, was arrested Monday by Carter County Sheriff's Department Sgt. Patrick Johnson after Deputy Brad Johnson observed a light on in Jones's residence. Deputy Johnson called for other units to assist and maintained visual contact with the residence. Sgt. Johnson, Investigator Chris Pierce and Deputy Johnson surrounded the house, at which time Jones came out the back door. He surrendered to officers without incident. Jones was wanted in connection with a Nov. 17 shooting incident in the Burbank area of Roan Mountain during which he is alleged to have fired a .12-gauge shotgun through the door of a home, striking Kim and Wayne Shell with pellets. When the shooting occurred, Jones was out on bond after another incident in which he is alleged to have stabbed a Roan Mountain juvenile. He was charged with two counts of aggravated assault and failure to appear on aggravated assault.
* John Joseph Pursley, 43, 62 Dogwood Lane, Mountain Home, and Ronald Jack Ford, 51, 300 Orleans St., Johnson City, were arrested Monday by Elizabethton Police Department Ptl. Jason McCall following a traffic stop. Pursley was charged with DUI, violation of implied consent, and possession of an open container. EPD Ptl. Mike McIntosh, who was assisting Ptl. McCall, arrested Ford on warrants charging him with violation of probation and failure to report to serve jail time.
* Johnny Estep, 39, Watauga Valley Trailer Park #32, was arrested Monday evening by EPD Sgt. Charles Moreland following a traffic stop. Estep was charged with second-offense DUI. While at the scene, David Troy Imhoff, 26, 312 Weaver Hill Road, Johnson City, stopped and advised the officer that a red Chevrolet had just hit his vehicle on West Elk Avenue and did not stop. Estep was driving a red 1986 Chevrolet Camaro. He additionally was charged with leaving the scene of an accident. While conducting an inventory of Estep's vehicle for towing purposes, a bottle containing seven Loritab was found between the driver and passenger seats. Estep was further charged with possession of Schedule IV.
* Christie Lee Vaughn, 31, 454 McQueen St., Butler, was arrested Monday by CCSD Deputy Eric Buck after the officer was alerted to a female in the lobby of the Sheriff's Department who possibly was intoxicated. Vaughn had an odor of an intoxicant about her and was unsteady on her feet. She told the officer she was there to serve time on a previous charge. Vaughn was given a field sobriety test, which she performed poorly, and was arrested on a charge of public intoxication.
* Casey Arthur Reed, 35, 143 Old Roan Mountain Road, was arrested Monday by Deputy Thomas Skeans and charged with simple assault.
* Terry Ray Tolley, 41, 142 Scafford Branch Road, was arrested Monday by CCSD Deputy Laverne Julian after he admitted driving a gray Camaro off the roadway on Long Hollow Road. Tolley left the scene and called 911, telling the operator about the accident. When the officer arrived, Tolley was back at the scene. The officer detected a strong odor of alcohol and administered Tolley a field sobriety test, which he failed, according to the officer. He was charged with DUI. Tolley submitted to an Intoximeter test at Carter County Jail, resulting in a blood alcohol content of .16 percent.
* Johnson City Bureau of Police is seeking information regarding the whereabouts of Waddel "Skinny" Snipes, who is wanted in connection with the Oct. 21 shooting of Defadrus Hale Jr., of Johnson City. Hale was shot while at the Cherry Street parking lot in Johnson City. Snipes, 32, is described as a black male, 5-feet-8 to 5-feet-9 inches tall, weighing 160-180 pounds. Johnson City Police have active warrants in hand for Snipes' arrest on a charge of second-degree murder. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Criminal Investigation Division, 434-6166, or Crimestoppers, 434-6158.
Vandalism* Sandra McKinney, 37, 677 Blue Springs Road, reported Monday to CCSD Sgt. Tim Lowe that someone broke out the driver's side window of her 1984 Subaru while it was parked at 677 Blue Springs Road.
* CCSD Lt. Bob Hooks responded Monday to Wilbur Dam Road to investigate vandalism to mailboxes. According to the report, 35 mailboxes in the Wilbur Dam/Steel Bridge Road area were damaged.
Fire* CCSD Sgt. Tim Lowe responded Monday to a vehicle fire on a logging road in the Tiger Creek section of Roan Mountain. Paul Blevins, 76, 164 Paul Blevins Road, Roan Mountain, told the officer that an electrical short caused the fire. As the fire progressed, the emergency brake failed and the vehicle rolled down a small hill, striking a tree. Roan Mountain Volunteer Fire Department responded to the scene and extinguished the blaze. The vehicle was a loss.
Theft* Judy Dulph, 40, 310 Hwy. 321, Hampton, reported Monday to CCSD Deputy Kenneth Cornett that her mother's Social Security check had been stolen out of her mailbox.
Accident* CCSD Sgt. Patrick Johnson and Sgt. Lee Birchfield responded Monday to Meredith Valley Lane regarding a four-wheeler accident. Martin Meredith told officers he heard his brother's wife scream and ran to the residence where he found his brother, Leo Meredith, lying unconscious with an injury to the back of the head. When Meredith regained consciousness, he told officers that he had been loading a Polaris 500 four-wheeler into a pickup when the wheels came off the ramp, causing the accident. Meredith was transported to Johnson City Medical Center for treatment.
|Starhq.com © 2008-2011. All rights reserved. 300 N Sycamore St, Elizabethton, TN 37643|