July 15, 2001


ÊÊ  * Christopher S. Heimann, 18, 129 Aviation Drive, was arrested around 2:30 a.m. Friday after he allegedly took a pack of donuts from Citgo on West Elk Avenue and then left the store without paying. Heimann was located later in the parking lot of Krystal's. Elizabethton Police Department Ptl. Jason McCall spoke with Heimann and asked him to step out the vehicle. When he did so, he kept feeling the front waistband of his pants and was asked to lift up his shirt. When he did, the officer found a bottle containing four pills, which appeared to be Schedule IV narcotics. Heimann was given a series of field sobriety tasks, which he performed poorly. He was arrested and charged with DUI, violation of implied consent, underage consumption, theft under $500 and possession of Schedule VI.
  * Crystal Michelle Suit, 18, 2226 W. G St., and Lance Suit, no age or address listed, were issued summons Friday by EPD Ptl. Mike McIntosh after the officer observed them in the Elk Avenue Citgo. Crystal Suit was charged in the summons with theft under $500 and assault. Lance Suit was charged with assault.
  * Penny L. Whitehead, 29, 183 Oliver Hollow Road, Hampton, was arrested Monday, July 9, following investigation of a June 28 shoplifting incident at Wal-Mart. According to the report, Whitehead was detained by store personnel after she was observed allegedly attempting to remove a roll of film. EPD Sgt. Matt Bailey responded to the store at which time a female subject advised the officer that Whitehead had left her children in the vehicle in the parking lot. The female told Sgt. Bailey that as she approached the store, she noticed a small infant and a young child inside a vehicle with only the driver's window rolled down slightly. According to the female, both children were crying hysterically and the older child was trying to calm the infant. The female said both children were sweating. She asked the older child what her mother's name was and she advised her "Penny Whitehead." The female then went to the service desk at Wal-Mart and had her paged. When Whitehead came to the front of the store, she already was in store custody. Sgt. Bailey checked the outside temperature and found it was 88 degrees. Whitehead told the officer the infant was 9 weeks old and the child, 7 years old. Whitehead was arrested Monday on a warrant charging her with child neglect.
  * Kevin Vern Tweedie, 18, 106 Bluegrass Road, Roan Mountain, was arrested Friday by Carter County Sheriff's Department Deputy Eric Buck following a traffic stop. Tweedie was charged with DUI and violation of registration.
  * Michael Joel Butler, 44, 164 George Bowers Lane, was arrested Thursday by Constable Leonard Johnson on a warrant from General Sessions Court charging him with violation of probation.
  * Officers of Johnson City Police Department responded Thursday to a traffic accident at the intersection of State of Franklin Road and Tennessee Street. According to the report, an East Tennessee State University public safety officer had observed a blue Geo Metro on their facility with an expired tag. The officer attempted to stop the vehicle, at which time, the driver fled and proceeded onto State of Franklin Road. The officer ceased pursuit, however, the vehicle continued to travel east at a high rate of speed. Witnesses said the Metro ran the red light at Tennessee Street and collided with an Isuzu Trooper driven by Joshua Witaker, 25, 157 Blakemore Circle, Johnson City. Whitaker was ejected from the vehicle and died shortly thereafter at Johnson City Medical Center. The driver of the Metro, Berry Lasiter, 23, 291 Austin Springs Road, Johnson City, was seriously injured in the collision, along with a passenger. The Traffic Homicide Unit of JCPD is investigating, with charges pending results of the investigation.
  * Leroy Barnard Burgess, 141 W. Market St., Apt. 408, was arrested Friday by officers of Johnson City Police Bureau and charged with one count of aggravated armed robbery to a business. The arrest stems from investigation into a theft from Auto Zone, 1102 W. Market St. An employee of the business witnessed Burgess hide merchandise in his clothing and attempt to leave. Burgess, when confronted by the employee, made like he was reaching for a weapon and told the employee if he tried to stop him, he would shoot him, according to the report. Burgess left the business and was apprehended a short time later. He was being held in Johnson City Jail under $25,000 bond.