Brothers arrested after high-speed pursuits

By Kathy Helms-Hughes

   Two juvenile brothers, ages 16 and 14, were apprehended Saturday and Sunday following two separate high-speed pursuits after they fled from Carter County Sheriff's Department deputies.
   The 16-year-old was arrested Saturday by Lt. Harvey Guess and Deputy Gregg Nave after Lt. Guess was told to be on the look out for a stolen 1988 Chevrolet Suburban. The officer observed a vehicle matching the description traveling north on Siam Road and followed the vehicle about 2 miles while waiting on backup officers.
   A roadblock was set up at the intersection of Campbell Rash and Blue Springs Roads, where an attempt was made to stop the vehicle. Instead, the vehicle sped up and nearly struck Deputy Albert Nave and Constable Landon Pritchard, then continued on at a high rate of speed, running off the roadway into a field and striking a fence.
   The driver returned to the roadway and traveled on to Highway 91, reaching speeds of about 80 mph in a 40 mph zone, before turning in behind Volunteer Market. The juvenile traveled through another field, where the driver bailed out and fled.
   After about a 45 minute search, the juvenile was located about 50 yards from where he exited the vehicle. He was taken into custody and charged with theft over $5,000, two counts of reckless endangerment and fleeing to avoid apprehension. He was issued a juvenile summons due to injuries and released to his mother.
   On Sunday, Lt. Mike Fraley was running emergency traffic, responding to a fight in progress on U.S. Highway 19E near Winn-Dixie, when a gray Mercury traveling in the passing lane refused to give right of way.
   The vehicle sped up to more than 90 mph as it headed toward Valley Forge, then turned onto Highway 321 when it reached Hampton. The driver then turned onto Crook Street, running stop signs and eventually winding his way back onto Highway 321 and U.S. 19E.
   The vehicle headed back to Valley Forge, turning right onto Riverside Drive and headed toward Garrison Hollow. At the intersection, the car struck a new fence at Valley Forge Freewill Baptist Church, then continued on.
   When the vehicle reached Homeplace Trailer Park, the driver bailed out and was apprehended after a brief foot pursuit. Two other juveniles were in the vehicle at the time of the incident.
   The 14-year-old driver was charged with speeding (over 90 mph), no driver's license, fleeing to avoid apprehension, and reckless endangerment. He is being held in the Johnson City Juvenile Detention Center.