Man, daughter rescued safely after Sunday hike on Roan Mountain

By Abby Morris-Frye
star staff

  A Sunday hike on Roan Mountain took a turn for the worse on Sunday when a 50-year-old man and his 13-year-old daughter became lost, but the pair were rescued early Monday morning by local emergency personnel.
  The Technical Rescue Team of the Carter County Rescue Squad was called to action Sunday night, and in the wee hours of Monday morning found the lost hikers, whose names were not released.
  According to John Burleson, Special Operations/Rescue Coordinator for the CCRS, the man and his daughter set out on Sunday to make the approximate six-hour hike along Hackline Trail on the top of Roan Mountain in Roan Mountain State Park. The pair was supposed to return around dusk.
  "The grandmother (the mother of the man and grandmother of his daughter) got really concerned when they did not return when they were supposed to," Burleson said.
  After her son and granddaughter failed to return home, the woman called 911 and dispatchers there contacted the Carter County Sheriff's Department. The CCSD then contacted the CCRS who in turn dispatched members of the Technical Rescue Team.
  According to CCRS Director Terry Arnold, the Technical Rescue Team entered the woods at approximately 10:30 p.m. Burleson said that the rescue efforts continued for approximately four hours and concluded when the man and his daughter were safely brought out of the woods unharmed.
  Burleson said that the pair had been walking on the trail, but fallen trees and other damage caused by the remnants of Hurricanes Frances and Ivan, which moved through this area last month, had blocked portions of the trail, forcing the pair to attempt to maneuver around those trail sections. The man and his daughter became lost while trying to get around a blocked portion of the trail.
  Three search teams were sent into the woods to find the missing pair. "We found them about three-quarters of the way up the mountain," Burleson said.
  Once the man and his daughter were found, the Technical Rescue Team used four-wheelers to get them out of the woods.
  "They were not hurt, but they were glad to see us," Arnold said.