Hampton man charged in shooting that left him, his uncle injured

By Abby Morris
Star Staff
A Hampton man was arrested Saturday just before noon and charged with aggravated assault in connection with a domestic dispute that left him and his uncle injured.
Thomas Eugene Stout, 46, of 123 Williams Rd., Hampton, was arrested Saturday at 11:30 a.m. by Carter County Sheriff's Department Sgt. Patrick Johnson on a warrant issued by CCSD Inv. Laverne Julian. He was also served a warrant charging him with violation of probation.
According to Carter County Sheriff John Henson, the incident occurred around 3:15 a.m. on Sunday Oct. 5 and left Stout and his uncle, Bobby Dale Bobbitt, 63, of 121 Alexander St., Hampton, injured. Stout sustained a gunshot wound to his abdomen and Bobbitt sustained head injuries after Stout allegedly struck him in the head with a .22 caliber rifle.
"When the officers arrived they found Bobbitt and Stout. Bobbitt had severe head injuries from where he had been beat over the head with a rifle. Stout had a gunshot wound to the lower part of the abdomen," Henson told The Star on Oct. 6.
According to Henson, Stout met a woman in Johnson City, Aeline Durocher, age 39, of 3121 W. Walnut St., Johnson City, and the two of them went to Bobbitt's residence on Alexander Street in Hampton. "All of them had been drinking and they got into an argument," Henson said. "Bobbitt went two or three houses up the street to get Stout's mother and bring her back to see if she could settle Stout down. When he brings the mother back, things just get worse."
"They get into a fight inside the residence and Stout starts hitting Bobbitt over the head with a .22 rifle. During this scuffle, the beating and thrashing around, Bobbitt gets a .25 automatic (pistol) and shoots Stout in the lower part of the abdomen."
According to a report by Johnson, when he and Tennessee Constable Harvey Shaffer arrived on the scene, the officers could hear a fight going on inside the residence. As Johnson approached the residence, he saw a man inside armed with a rifle. When he approached from a safer angle, he commanded the man to exit the residence.
"During this time I could hear a subject being beaten inside of the residence and a male subject cursing and asking who had stolen his motorcycle," Johnson states in his report. "At this point, a female subject later identified as Mrs. Jean Banner (the mother of Stout), came onto the front porch and I asked her who was armed and she advised that it was her son."
At that point, Johnson asked Banner to advise her son to step outside the residence without the firearm. "I could hear Mrs. Banner advise her son that the sheriff's department was there and wanted him outside. I then could hear the subject running through the house toward the back," Johnson said. "I ran to the rear of the residence and observed Mr. Thomas E. Stout exit(ing) the back door of the house armed with a rifle. At this point I began giving the subject verbal commands to drop the weapon at which time he threw the rifle into a bush and approached officers."
As Stout approached officers, Johnson ordered him to get on the ground, and he refused. Johnson and Shaffer tackled Stout and arrested him.
Johnson, Shaffer and CCSD Deputy Dean Jones entered the residence and found the victim, Bobbitt, who had several head wounds which were bleeding severely.
A search of the residence located the .22-caliber rifle which Stout had thrown into the bushes, as well as a .25-caliber handgun. "Evidence was found inside of the residence that at least three shots had been fired," Johnson states in his report.
Evidence of alcohol consumption and narcotics use were also found at the scene.
Both Bobbitt and Stout were transported to the Johnson City Medical Center Hospital for treatment. "(Stout) lost some of his intestines and part of his colon, I think. They are non-life threatening at this time," Henson said. "Bobbitt had several severe cuts and bruises on his head from where he had been beat over the head with the gun."
Investigators waited to press charges in the incident until they interviewed both parties and determined who the primary aggressor in the incident was. Henson told The Star on Oct. 6 that the investigation was leaning toward Stout as primary aggressor.