State inmate walks from work crew in Keenburg area

By Thomas Wilson

   State and local authorities were searching Carter County Thursday night after a minimum-security state inmate serving a sentence for kidnapping and assault walked away from a work crew.
   The Tennessee Department of Correction reported that Freddie Day, Jr., 28, walked away from a Northeast Correctional Complex community work crew working in the Keenburg community at approximatey 2:30 p.m. Thursday.
   "We had a positive sighting of him on Quincy Parlier Road," said Chief Deputy James Parrish of the Carter County Sheriff's Department. "We at one time had ten of our deputies over there plus about 14 to 16 prison guards looking for him."
   Patrol cars could be found combing the area off the old Bristol Highway and Lacey Hollow Road shortly after local authorities were informed of Day's alleged escape.
   Day was one of 10 inmates working near U.S. Highway 19E in the Keenburg community near Elizabethton.
   He is a white male, described as 5 feet 7 inches tall, weighing 150 pounds with brown hair, blue eyes and a medium complexion. He has the word "Kim" tattooed on his right hand and a "heart" tattoo on his left arm, according to TDOC's description.
   Parrish said that, when he was last sighted, Day was wearing white shorts and a white tee-shirt.
   "His hands and arms were cut up where he'd been going through the underbrush," he said. "We know we were about five minutes behind him at one time."
   Day was assigned to the Northeast Correctional Complex-Annex in Roan Mountain. The Carter County Work Camp (CCWC) site houses minimum security inmates who are within ten years of release eligibility.
   He was serving a 25-year prison term for especially aggravated kidnapping and aggravated assault. He was convicted in Sullivan County in 1995.
   A dispatcher with the Sullivan County Sheriff's Department said the county's deputies had been notified to be on the lookout for Day.
   Parrish said the department and other authorities had taken on a be-on-the-lookout status for Day as of Thursday night.
   "He'd been gone about 20 minutes when we got over there," said Parrish. "We wore it out for few hours looking for him."