Safe Schools funding released

From Staff Reports

   State legislators announced Tuesday that Carter County and Johnson City schools will receive a total of $60,000 in Safe Schools grants this year.
   The money is to be used by schools to purchase communications equipment, provide counseling and alternative education services, and to enhance crisis response procedures.
   The money is provided through the Safe Schools Act of 1998. The General Assembly appropriated $5.6 million in state funds for Safe Schools this fiscal year. The Department of Education released $4.2 million (75 percent) of the funds yesterday. The remaining 25 percent will not be released until early next year.
   Carter County Schools will receive $31,375, requiring a local match of $5,360.
   Sen. Rusty Crowe said that he is "delighted to see these state tax dollars coming back into our district to ensure a safe learning environment for our school children."