CCSD investigates Roan Mtn. shooting

By Abby Morris
Star Staff
A Roan Mountain man who was transported to the Johnson City Medical Center for treatment of multiple gunshot wounds Wednesday night claimed someone was shooting at him while he was standing in the yard of his residence. However, evidence collected by police does not confirm the statement.
Michael Thompson, age 50, of 830 Buck Mountain Rd., sustained three gunshot wounds to his legs -- one in his right calf and two in his left foot.
Carter County Sheriff's Department officers were summoned to the Buck Mountain Road residence shortly before 10 p.m. Wednesday. CCSD Lt. Rocky Croy and Deputy Shannon Deloach were the first officers to arrive on scene.
"Upon arrival I observed a blood trail leading up the stairs into the residence," Croy stated in a police report. "A subject known as Michael Thompson was sitting on the couch with blood coming from both legs."
When rescue personnel examined Thompson they determined that a bullet entered the front of his right leg and exited through his calf. Thompson also received two gunshot wounds to the top of his left foot that exited the bottom of the foot.
"Mr. Thompson said he had went outside his residence and someone started shooting at him," Croy said. "When we advised there was blood in the driveway, he said he went running in the yard trying to find something to defend himself but didn't see who had shot him."
Thompson was transported by the Carter County Rescue Squad to the Johnson City Medical Center hospital where he was treated and later released.
"While waiting for CID (Criminal Investigations Divison) to arrive, Deputy Deloach, myself and Constable (Leonard) Johnson found a vehicle behind the residence registered to Rachel Hall and the passenger side had blood in the seat and floorboard," Croy said. "From evidence at the scene it appeared that Mr. Thompson had been shot at an unknown location and transported back to his residence where the blood trail was found to start in the driveway to the residence and the tire marks from the van went behind the residence."
Two residents from Buck Mountain Road were the first persons to respond to the scene. Jerry Potter, of 171 Buck Mountain Rd., advised officers that he had heard Thompson calling for help and found him sitting on the porch of the residence. Michael Ward, of 1066 Buck Mountain Rd., told officers he had heard the call on his scanner and responded to the scene to attempt to help.
An investigation into the incident is ongoing.