TBI investigating Carter County Jail; jailer resigns

  By Abby Morris
  star staff
  The Carter County Jail is currently being investigated by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation under the direction of the District Attorney General, but officials are keeping tight lips on what the investigation is regarding.
  "The investigation is ongoing at this time," said Carter County Sheriff John Henson, who is over operations at the Carter County Jail. "There's a lot I can't say at this time but once it's all said and done the findings will be made public, whatever the findings are."
  The investigation has been going on for approximately one month, according to Henson and one jailer has turned in his resignation since the investigation began. "I did have a jailer to come in and resign. As to whether this was a result of the investigation I can't speculate," Henson said. "The jailer that came in and resigned, he put on his resignation it was for 'personal reasons.'"
  Henson stated that he could not release any details on the investigation and would not comment on whether the investigation was regarding a jailer in the performance of his or her duties. According to Henson, the TBI has asked him not to comment on the situation. "They (the TBI) told me absolutely to say nothing," he said. "They told me not to say anything until I was advised to do so.
  "As soon as the investigation is complete, myself, the TBI and District Attorney (Joe) Crumley will be making a full report."
  Henson stated that the investigation is being handled by the TBI under the direction of Crumley's office.
  The investigation has been going on for approximately one month and Henson stated that he is not sure when it will conclude. "I figure that by the first of the month they will have it complete," he said. "That's just my figuring though. I can't say whether they will have it complete or not."
  A message left by the STAR for Crumley was returned Tuesday afternoon by his secretary who stated that Crumley did not want to comment on an ongoing investigation.
  Messages left at the Johnson City office of the TBI regarding the investigation were not immediately returned on Tuesday.