Fire leaves Hunter home heavily damaged

From Staff Reports

   A house at 105 Ford Lane in the Hunter community was heavily damaged by fire Tuesday evening, according to Fire Chief Jason Shaw of Stoney Creek Volunteer Fire Department.
   Shaw said Constable Landon Pritchard reported the call to 9-1-1 about the same time it was being dispatched, around 9:10 p.m. When firefighters arrived, flames were already visible.
   Hampton/Valley Forge and Watauga Volunteer Fire Departments responded to assist with firefighting efforts, which lasted about 2-1/2 hours, while members of Carter County Sheriff's Department controlled traffic near the scene. Carter County Rescue Squad also stood by.
   Shaw said the fire had to be beaten down from outside the wooden structure before firefighters could enter. The house, which was owned by Ken and Joyce Mann, was unoccupied at the time of the incident.
   According to Shaw, a propane tank located near the home had to be cooled off by firefighters, who then were able to shut off the gas. Local utility companies were called to the scene to disconnect electrical power and turn off water to the house.
   According to preliminary investigation, the fire is believed to have been electrical in nature, Shaw said.