Man threatens three with gun following hit-and-run wreck

By Abby Morris
Star Staff

   A Carter County man was arrested Friday evening after he left the scene of an accident and reportedly threatened the other parties involved with a shotgun.
   Jason Loel Markham, 40, 147 Water Plant Rd., was arrested shortly before 7 p.m. on Friday by Elizabethton Police Department Ptl. Mark Roberts and charged with leaving the scene of an accident and three counts of aggravated assault.
   According to a report on the incident by EPD Ptl. Jennifer Mayberry, officers were dispatched on a call of a hit and run vehicle accident which occurred on West G Street at the intersection of that street with Holly Lane. The suspect vehicle, a gray Subaru, had left the scene of the accident and the other vehicle involved had followed him to a residence on Water Plant Road.
   The three individuals who were in the vehicle the Subaru struck followed the Subaru to the residence and parked at the bottom of the driveway to wait for police.
   "While waiting on the police, the victim observed a male subject walking down the driveway carrying a shotgun," states Mayberry in her report. "The victim left and went to the water treatment plant and met with officers."
   The officers went to the residence on Water Plant Road and cautiously made their way up the driveway because the subject, later identified as Markham, might have still been armed. "While officers were walking up the driveway Wanda Markham (mother of Jason Markham) pulled up in the road and started yelling at officers," Mayberry states in her report. "Officers continued up the driveway until visual contact was made with the suspect. Officers used cover and concealment and talked the suspect down to the area where officers could determine he was not armed."
   Jason Markham was handcuffed by officers for the safety of the officers on the scene and his own protection.
   "Mr. Markham's vehicle was inspected and damage was located on the right front bumper consistent with damage to the victim's vehicle," Mayberry said. "Mr. Markham was then placed under arrest for leaving the scene of an accident."
   While officers were placing Markham in the back seat of a police cruiser, Wanda Markham approached and asked her son if he had locked the doors, and he said he had. "Ms. Markham was visibly upset and continued to question officers. Ptl. (Shannon) Peters advised Ms. Markham that Mr. Markham said the house was secure and Ms. Markham screamed at Ptl. Peters that he did not have to be a smart mouth and that she wanted his name," Mayberry states in the report. "As Ms. Markham started toward Ptl. Peters, Capt. (Clyde) Croy advised that all officers involved would be listed on the report. Ms. Markham pushed Capt. Croy with her right arm on his left upper arm and continued to approach Ptl. Peters. At this point Ptl. Peters advised Ms. Markham of his name and while officers were leaving she continued to yell at officers."
   Further investigation revealed that Markham had threatened the occupants of the other vehicle involved in the crash with a shot gun. Markham was subsequently charged with three counts of aggravated assault. He was additionally charged with failure to provide proof of insurance as is required by state law.