Preservation grant applications available

From Staff Reports

   The Tennessee Historical Commission is accepting grant applications for historic preservation projects for the 2002-2003 fiscal year.
   The actual amount of federal funds available for the Tennessee grants will not be known until Congress has passed the Fiscal Year 2002-2003 budget, but it is expected that funds will be around $400,000. Applications will be rated and ranked and decisions on those to be funded will be made when the exact amount of the allocation is known, normally by December. However, if Congress is unable to agree on a budget, it could be as late as next spring.
   The selection process will emphasize projects for conducting architectural, archaeological and historic site surveys. Such projects are designed to identify and record historic districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects significant to Tennessee's history which were built before 1950. Surveys may be for a specific geographic area or for sites associated with themes or events significant in the state's history, such as the development of railroads in the 19th century.
   Priorities for funding survey projects will include areas that are experiencing rapid growth and development or other threats to cultural resources, areas where there are serious gaps in knowledge regarding cultural resources, and thematic surveys based upon existing historic study units produced by the state Historic Preservation Office.
   Assistance also is available for other types of historic preservation projects including preservation planning studies for towns, neighborhoods and historic districts, the preparation of nominations to the National Register of Historic Places, planning or pre-development work necessary to undertake restoration of a historic property, and restoration of historic properties. For restoration or restoration preplanning, properties must be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
   Applications to prepare nominations to the National Register of Historic Places are a priority and are especially encouraged.
   The matching grants will pay up to 60 percent of costs of approved project work. The remaining 40 percent must be provided by the grantee.
   Applications are available from the Tennessee Historic Commission, 2941 Lebanon Road, Nashville, Tenn. 37243-0442. The deadline for submission of completed applications is Sept. 1. For more information or for an application, contact the Historical Commission at (615) 532-1550.