Jones given date for hearing in shooting death

By Abby Morris
Star Staff

   A Hampton man charged in the shooting death of his former girlfriend appeared in court on Friday and received a court date for a preliminary hearing.
   Steven Allen Jones, 34, of 103 Carl Smith Road., Hampton, was taken into custody Wednesday after he surrendered to police in the town of White Pine in Jefferson County. He appeared before General Sessions Court Judge John Walton on a charge of first-degree murder Friday morning. The public defender has been appointed by the court to represent Jones, who was given a date of May 12 to appear in court again for a preliminary hearing.
   Jones is charged in the death of Carla Scott, 26, who had at one time lived with him at the residence in Hampton. Scott was shot shortly after 11 a.m. Monday morning while she was sitting in the driver's seat of her vehicle in the parking lot of McDonald's. Her two young children, ages 1 and 3, were in the back seat of the vehicle at the time of the shooting and were not injured. Jones has been identified as the father of the 1-year-old child but not the 3-year-old.
   Witnesses told police that Jones and Scott had been arguing inside the restaurant. Scott left the building and, after placing her children in her car, witnesses said the couple continued to argue. Another witness reported to police that he saw Jones enter his vehicle and retrieve a firearm which he then used to fire five shots into Scott's vehicle and then fled the scene.
   Members of the Carter County Rescue Squad transported Scott to Sycamore Shoals Hospital where she was pronounced dead on arrival. She had sustained gunshot wounds to the head and chest.
   Police withheld the identity of the woman for two days as they attempted to notify next of kin. Elizabethton Police Department Capt. Mike Peters of the Criminal Investigations Division stated on Wednesday that investigators had been unable to locate any next of kin for Scott.
   EPD Det. Ed McGee stated on Friday that investigators had still not been able to find any next of kin for the slain woman. "We're still working on it. We've got the DCS (Department of Children's Services) involved helping us out," McGee said. "It's been a long involved process because as far as we know she didn't have anyone here."
   McGee stated that investigators did have a lead on some possible family of Scott and were hoping to be able to make contact with them soon. Scott's two children were given to the custody of the Department of Children's Services following the shooting on Monday. The DCS refused to comment on whether the children were still in their custody or if a custody hearing has been scheduled.