Woman charged with child abuse

By Abby Morris
Star Staff

   An Elizabethton woman was arrested and charged with two counts of child abuse Thursday night, just 12 hours before she was to appear in court on previous charges of placing her children in danger.
   Lisa Faith Causby, 29, 427 W. G Street, Apt. 8, was arrested around 9:30 p.m. Thursday night by Elizabethton Police Department Ptl. Michael McIntosh and charged with two counts of felony child abuse and neglect, public intoxication and shoplifting.
   Causby had a previous charge of child endangerment which is currently pending in General Sessions Court. Causby appeared on that charge on Friday and her case was continued until May 17.
   On Thursday night, at approximately 9:22 p.m., officers of the Elizabethton Police Department were dispatched to Wal-Mart, 791 W. Elk Avenue, on a report of an intoxicated subject, according to reports. "While en route, 911 advised another caller had called on the same individual in reference to child neglect," stated McIntosh in his report.
   Upon the officer's arrival, he spoke with a male subject named Tim Gilbert, who stated that while he was in the store, he saw an infant crying in a shopping buggy. Gilbert stated that the infant continued to cry for approximately 20 minutes but the mother was not paying attention to it. "Mr. Gilbert stated that he approached the mother, whom he knew as Lisa Causby, and she was not alert and appeared to be intoxicated," McIntosh states in his report. "Mr. Gilbert stated that while he was speaking with her, she was nodding in and out of consciousness."
   At that time, according to the report, Gilbert advised the officers that he began tending to the infant, a 7-month-old girl, while Causby "began staggering away" with her 6-year-old son, leaving him with the infant.
   "Mr. Gilbert stated the young boy was begging his mother to go but she was unable to pay attention to his request," McIntosh states in his report. "Mr. Gilbert stated that he told Lisa that the baby appeared to be hungry and it was too small to be sitting in the buggy to which she replied, 'She is OK,' and walked away."
   At that time, Gilbert told officers, he determined that it could be "life threatening" if Causby attempted to leave the store with the children so he called 911.
   Gilbert, along with an assistant manager from Wal-Mart advised officers that after walking away from Gilbert and leaving her infant with him, Causby had sat down in the floor. "Officer found Mrs. Causby next to the automotive department unable to stand without assistance from the buggy," states McIntosh in his report. "She was observed to have slurred speech and was disoriented and was a danger to herself, her children and the public."
   Causby was then read her rights by McIntosh, according to reports, and stated that she understood them. While speaking with Causby, officers found that she had taken methadone and Tramadol -- a prescription pain medication -- earlier in the day and had driven her two children to Wal-Mart.
   "During the investigation, officer asked Mrs. Causby for permission to search her purse and she stated officer could," states McIntosh in the report. "Inside, concealed in the purse were two pairs of panties, one pair of baby shoes, and one pair of sunglasses all belonging to Wal-Mart."
   At that time, Causby was placed under arrest. A relative of Causby responded to the scene and the two children were released to her custody.
   Causby is currently being held in the Carter County Jail on a corporate bond set at $20,250. She is scheduled to appear in General Sessions Court on Monday.