Fire damages home in Central Community

From Staff Reports

   Fire caused severe damage to a garage, destroyed one car and damaged another at a home in the Central Community Wednesday afternoon.
   Firefighters from the Central Volunteer Fire Department responded to the scene and contained the blaze to the garage area of the home at 394 Greenlee Road. Danny Smith, owner of the home, was not on the property when the fire started.
   According to Central Volunteer Fire Department Chief Bob Jones, the fire may have started around one of the two cars. "He had two cars that he was working on in there and a kerosene heater," Jones said. "Some fuel may have been ignited by the kerosene heater. That car was burnt worse than anything in there."
   The rest of the home sustained smoke damage, according to Jones.
   The initial call on the fire came in from a passerby on a cellular phone and was quickly followed by a call from a neighbor who also spotted the smoke, according to a 911 dispatcher. Jones said the caller spotted the fire early, giving firefighters enough time to respond and contain the fire.