Body of woman found in Johnson City basement identified

By Abby Morris
Star Staff
JOHNSON CITY -- Investigators have identified the body of a young woman whose body was found wrapped in plastic in the basement of a city residence on Jan. 2.
According to Johnson City Police Bureau Capt. Trent Harris, the woman who was found deceased has been identified as 24-year-old Amanda Wood. Harris stated that Wood was "originally from Florida but had lived here for a while." She was residing at a residence on East Eighth Avenue, according to the investigator.
On Monday, investigators in the case had stated that they were 95 percent sure of the identity of the body but were waiting on additional evidence to positively confirm the identity. That additional evidence came in the form of fingerprints, and on Tuesday investigators received word from Dr. Gretel Stephens, a forensic pathologist with the Quillen College of Medicine, that the fingerprints were a match.
At this time, according to Harris, no cause of death has been determined and due to the fact that investigators have not received a report from the forensic pathologist, investigators are refusing to comment on a possible cause of death. "We are not discussing the particulars of the case at the time," Harris said.
An arrest has already been made in the case, investigators stated on Monday.
Glenn Isaac Goins, 22, 420 W. Poplar St., has been charged with first-degree murder and felony murder in the death of Woods.
According to police reports, Betty Goins, Glenn Goins' mother, notified authorities around 10 a.m. on Jan. 2 after she discovered Wood's body in the basement of her residence at 420 W. Poplar St. Wood's hands had been bound and she was wrapped in plastic.
Harris stated on Monday that the body had been in the house for approximately 36 hours at the time it was discovered. Investigators are placing Wood's time of death "somewhere in the neighborhood of New Year's Eve," Harris said.
Betty Goins gave investigating officers a description of her son and the vehicle which he was driving. At that time, officers placed a bulletin with neighboring states to be on the lookout due to the fact that he was wanted for questioning in relation to the discovery of the body.
Goins was located in Hamilton County, Tenn., near Chattanooga, by officers with the Hamilton County Sheriff's Department in the early morning hours on Sunday. During a routine patrol, an officer of that department observed a vehicle parked at a boat dock and discovered Goins asleep in the vehicle. When he ran the license plate of the vehicle he was alerted that Goins was wanted by Johnson City Police.
He was arrested there on an outstanding violation of parole warrant from an unrelated incident. He was later transported to the Washington County Detention Center and has since been charged with murder in connection with the incident in Johnson City.
According to Harris, investigators are not sure at this time what the motive of the crime was. "To the best of our knowledge it was a chance meeting that he facilitated," he said on Monday.
After his arrest, Goins confessed to investigators that he had killed the woman, according to Harris and JCPB Chief John Lowry. Police also report that Goins informed officers that he was involved in other murders in the area which are still under investigation. "As it stands right now we have to make sure we can corroborate the statements he has given us and make sure it is not just facts that someone could know by reading a newspaper," Harris said on Monday.
According to District Attorney General Joe Crumley, Goins, who had served time with the Tennessee Department of Corrections, has a violent criminal record including convictions for two counts of kidnapping, aggravated assault, escape and theft of a vehicle over $10,000.